Refined sugar free – Gluten free – Nut free – Grain free – Lunchbox friendly – Kid approved – Freezer friendly
SERVES: 12 squares
If you’re sick of plain old mash potato next to your meat and other veg or want to twist things up a bit at your next party, these are your guys. They are strong in flavour and in muscle, they wont break as soon as you touch ’em. These buddies also tackle our sweet chilli chutney (coming soon) head on. Like many brut men, these guys do have a softer side and need a bit of TLC at the beginning, but it is sure to pay off in the end.
3 Tbs chives, finely diced
6 large potatoes, cut into 2cm cubes
2 ½ cups vintage cheddar cheese, grated
8 bacon hearts, 1cm dice
2 cups corn flour
2 cups instant polenta
- Place your potatoes on the stove top in a pot of cold water on high for 10-15minutes or until soft enough to pierce with a fork.
- Meanwhile, in a fry frying pan, fry bacon to slightly crispy, place aside to cool slightly.
- Drain and rigorously mash potatoes.
- In a large bowl, place mashed potatoes, chives, cheese and cooled bacon and mix to combine well.
- Spread potato mixture into a baking dish lined and overhanging with baking paper, press down firmly and chill for 1 hour.
- Cut into 24 squares (smaller for finger food size)
- Place cornflour, eggs and polenta in to their own individual bowls. Dip each square lightly into cornflour, then egg and then polenta.
- Heat oil in a large frying pan about 1-2cm deep. Shallow fry coated potato squares, on all sides, until golden brown and crispy. Remove and drain on paper towel.