Thermomix option – Slow cooker option – Refined sugar free – Gluten free – Nut free – Egg free – Grain free – Kid approved – Freezer friendly
You know when you go over to someone’s house for dinner and they serve you up a bowl of deliciousness? Well that was this. Chicken Spesh my sister called it and spesh it was. I immediately needed the recipe and then of course we needed to PIMP it. Traditionally this would include tinned ingredients but we have been able to get it on to your plate without the added yuckies but still have all the flavour. Serve it up on a bed of rice for a lovely winter meal.
1 clove garlic, crushed
1 leek, sliced
2 cups milk of choice
2 chicken maryland
3 cups frozen corn kernels
⅓ cup cornflour
Salt and pepper
Parsley to serve
FOR QUICK AND THERMOMIX RECIPE
Omit the water and replace with 2 cups of chicken bone broth
Switch Maryland with 600g thigh fillets, diced into 2-3cm cubes
- In a deep non stick pan fry off both sides of both pieces of Maryland.
- Add the water to the pot and bring to the boil , reduce to a simmer with the lid on leaving for an hour.
- At the one hour mark remove the Maryland from the pot and pilfer the chicken. Putting the bones back into the pot and setting the chicken aside for later use.
- Place your leek and garlic into the pot with the chicken bones and leave simmering, covered for 3 and a half hours.
- Once 3 ½ hours has passed remove the bones from the pot and get out another pot to start making your sauce.
- In the new pot melt your butter and whisk in your cornflour.
- Now slowly whisk in the milk and then the homemade stock.
- Add your corn kernels and pilfered chicken from earlier and bring the pot to the boil stirring occasionally.
SLOW COOKER INSTRUCTIONS
- In a deep non stick pan fry off both sides of your Maryland pieces.
- Add the water, leek, garlic, pepper and butter to slow cooker. And cook on ‘low’ for 8 hours.
- Remove the Maryland from the slow cooker and pilfer the chicken. Putting the chicken back into the slow cooker and discarding the bones.
- In a small bowl, add cornflour and 3 tbs of your broth from the slow cooker adding more if needed to create a paste. Then add this paste to your slow cooker.
- Stir in the milk and add your corn. Turn slow cooker to ‘low’ and cook for another hour before serving.
- In a large non stick pan fry off your chicken, remembering you’re using thighs, until browned.
- Remove chicken from the pan and set aside for later, add your butter to the pan to melt.
- Cook your garlic in the butter for 2 minutes and then whisk in the cornflour.
- Slowly pour in your milk while continuing to whisk and then do the same with your bone broth and bring to the boil.
- Add in your leek, corn and chicken mixing to ensure everything is covered with the sauce and bring to the boil again.
- Once boiled leave your pan to simmer for 15 minutes.
- Put your garlic into your bowl 5 seconds/Speed 7
- Add your butter 2 minutes/100°/Speed 1
- Add in your leek 3 minutes/100°/Speed 1
- Add in the remaining ingredients, remember you’re using chicken thighs. 30 minutes/120° Reverse slowest speed. Stir half way with your spatula.
- Put your mixture into your thermo server for 5 minutes to thicken.