So, how do you know if the honey in your pantry is 100% pure? Well, firstly, the ingredients list should be a good give away; if your jar of honey only contains real, pure honey then the ingredients list should only contain one ingredient – Honey.
If your ingredients list is nowhere to be found, is unreadable or even if you just want a quick and fun experiment to do with the kids, here are two more ways to test your honey for ‘real-ness’
The Thumb Test
- Put a small drop of the honey on to the fingerprint side of your thumb
- Check to see if it spreads
- If it does, it is not pure. Pure honey will stay intact, and not really move, on your thumb
The Water Test
- Add a tablespoon of honey to a glass of good old, plain tap water.
- Artificial honey will dissolve in water and you will see it floating around in the glass
- Pure honey on the other hand will settle right at the bottom of your glass and will be separate from the water; it will not dissolve.
Well hopefully you feel a little more knowledgeable about such a natural, insect made, super food and I hope those who try the experiments with their kids find it interesting also.